1.02.2010

I'm here!

I am being threatened with mild violence (from a distance) if I don't post more now that I've moved, so here it goes.

I am very happy to be in Victoria. My first week here has been lots of fun, emotional, and super stressful all at the same time. I have felt VERY WELCOMED by my Victoria friends, and it's made me feel a lot more comfortable and at home (even though I just arrived). So Victoria friends, and you know who you are, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tonight I drove to Duncan to see my new branch. I start on Monday. It seems like a beautiful drive, though I am sure I did not appreciate it fully because it was dark. I am no longer intimidated by the Malahat (which is a mountain between Victoria and Duncan).

Here is my list of things I am loving about Victoria so far:
1. Breakfast. There are AMAZING breakfast places here. I have been to 4 or 5 already and I'm sure there are lots more. Can't wait for more breakfast tomorrow. I'm learning that bennies are huge here. Guess I should try hollandaise for the first time!
2. Downtown. It's SO easy to around, and there is a lot to do and see. Everything I need is right there.
3. Walking. I have walked much more this week than I have in a long time. I also can't say this is necessarily because I have been without a car. I anticipate I would have walked just as much if my car were here. My number one New Years resolution is to use my car only to go to work and get groceries, once it gets here, that is.
4. The bus system. While not always time reliable, it's great that I can hop on a bus right in front of my building and be downtown in less than 5 minutes.
5. People who work in the service industry. Wow. I can't believe how happy and helpful everyone is. When I was hungover at breakfast yesterday the servers were so cheerful it was almost painful (I'm not complaining, trust me). Today, I was walking around Home Depot (likely looking confused), attempting to purchase a garbage bin, and a representative walked over to me while I was browsing through the store and voluntarily offered their assistance. This doesn't happen in Ontario. These are only two examples of many.
6. Kaitlyn, Jon, Veronica, Mike, and Stephan.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what breakfast places have you been to?

Anne-Marie said...

umm...wow, this will be hard to remember. floyd's, lady marmalade, avalon, demitasse (but we'd already been there). okay maybe just the four.

Veronica said...

a-please get pop-up comments
b- i love this post. don't eat hollandaise, it's nasty. but im glad you like the walks, i am into walks.