6.09.2009

FML



...am I too new to blogging to rant yet? Mmmm....yeah I'm over it, I've already decided I don't care and I am going to do it anyway.

As two of the three faithful readers of my blog likely know, I work in a job where I have to very closely interact with customers for most of my day. I have an office, and people come to sit in it, and I provide them with advice.

This can at times prove difficult for me as I am not one to make small talk. I HATE small talk. I would rather knife myself then have to talk to a stranger and pretend to care for the 5-25 minutes they are in my office. It's always the same. I ALWAYS lead with a comment about the weather. I am going to need to work on this as my repeat customers have began to snicker when I lead them in to my office and once again start with the "so..it hasn't been a very nice week so far, hopefully the weekend will be better!"

Anyways, I digress. Back to my story. Today I had a nice women in my office to do something that should have and did take me about 30 seconds. In my attempt to shoo her out of my office, I asked her if there was anything else I could do for her and to have a nice day. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY DAY. She took this as an opening to tell me her entire life story. For real. Courtship, engagement, marriage, kids, divorce, re-engagement, re-marriage. Great.

I'd like to take this moment to point out the company I work for allows us to have two personal items in out offices, so as to cut down on the clutter and make everything look more professional. All of my other co-workers have chosen to adorn their offices with a token picture of themselves and thier spouse....and a plant. Myself however, I JUST have a plant. It's pretty jazzy and I get lots of compliments on it, but nevertheless, just a plant. Single as I am, I don't feel there is really any sort of appropriate picture I could put in my office at this point in my life. I can't put up one of my parents, that's lame. I can't put up one of me and a group of my friends (I'm a financial advisor, my customers already barely trust me, as a 23 year old female with thier money...let alone if they see pictures of me and my jazzy friends in my office). I'm stuck. I shall have to wait until I am in a significant and long term relationship before I get to the stage of having ANY sort of picture in my office. I am not complaining or asking for pity, I am just pointing out the truth as it pertains to my story.

I digress again, but this information is pertinent. So this women who is sitting in my office, after having told me her life story, I suppose picked up on the subtle hints that I may be single. No ring...no picture of myself with spouse. "Are you married dear?" Yes, I am fucking married, obviously you can see my imaginary ring, and my imaginary fiance/husband in that lovely picture over there.

She then proceeds to talk to me for LITERALLY 10 minutes about how "when I meet that person, I will just know", and "hang in there, it will happen for you". Fuck my life. Yes, that's the point of this whole story. Fuck my life. Who the fuck does this lady think she is? I should likely mention that this is NOT the first time I have heard this in my time of being a 23 year old financial advisor. This was however, the most blantant and drawn out attempt.

Note to any of my future customers: I am aware that I am single. This is not news to me. As of this moment, I am enjoying it, and don't really have a problem with it. Please refrain from coming into my office, not taking my advice, and making me feel hopeless about the fact that I am 23 and husbandless.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Shawna @ My Nails Did said...

a picture you took of scenery on a vacay. like mexico. then when people act like morons, you can stare at your happy place.

Anonymous said...

thanks for blogging this - i like getting to know you better.

Shawna @ My Nails Did said...

also: i often get people asking if I'm married and have children- I respond with, I'm not worried, I have plenty of time. If you are feeling especially snarky due to their rudeness you can throw in- "I'm still young" (if they are not, get the dig in haha)