1.17.2010

Expectations vs. Reality



Since moving to Victoria, my life has played out a lot like the expectations vs. reality scene in 500 Days of Summer. I do, to a certain extent, feel as though my first impressions of living in this city have not been the most positive because they have differed so greatly from how I expected it to be when I arrived.

I've learned in the past that it's not a wise idea to have expectations in most situations. Rarely do they play out the way one wants them to. I wish I could have arrived in Victoria with nothing but the excitement and optimism I felt both times I had been here in the past.

Nonetheless, I am letting go of my expectations and appreciating this city for everything that it has to offer, and everything that I have been looking forward to since I was here last May and began to think about a move. A very wise Paish told me that expectations are silly because everything I want is within my control. I think she's right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank-you

Anonymous said...

p.s. i can't believe you found that film strip just like that

Shawna @ My Nails Did said...

awesome scene. Un-awesome for you though. You'll just have to show me a kick-ass time in Feb and rediscover the city with your guest!!